CURRENT STATUS UPDATE (AS AT 14/04/2020)
COVID-19 AND IMPORTANT UPDATES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IN AUSTRALIA
The Universities and the Government of Australia has reached out to the international students in many ways and this information is being made available to the student through its communication links with University.
Some of the assistance and facilities extended to current International students by the respective UNIVERSITIES are as follows,
- Financial support for eligible students (application has to be submitted)
- Hardship allowance –depending on the situation
- Laptop loans ( long term)- to continue studies online
- Emergency Fund reliefs
- Grocery grant – to purchase food items
Other assistance & considerations extended by the universities
- Due date for fees has been extended. Please check with university
- Technical support for online studies available
- Medical support centers and hotlines provided
- Counselor service for students who are stressed & in need of mental support
Please check each university website for updated information on the Victorian universities response to COVID-19, support and services provided for internationals students.
Support measures from the GOVERNMENT:
- If you have been in Australia longer than 12 months, you can access your Australian superannuation to support you through this crisis.
- You can already work up to 40 hours per fortnight. Additional hours for aged care workers and nurses have been approved.
- If you work in a supermarket, you can work additional hours up until Friday 1 May 2020.
LETTER ISSUED BY AUSTRALIAN HIGH COMMISSIONER IN SRI LANKA FOR THE STUDENTS CURRENTLY IN AUSTRALIA
NEW ZEALAND IMMIGRATION UPDATE FOR STUDENT VISA HOLDERS
Student visa COVID-19 information
CANADA GOVERNMENT ISSUES THE FOLLOWING SUPPORT TO INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
COVID-19 AND IMPORTANT UPDATES FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS
1. How long is the travel ban going to be?
- Australia - have yet not decided when the prevailing travel ban can be lifted. This is going to be assessed time & again. The official government position (Australian Government Home Affairs) clarifies that the travel ban is a precautionary measure until further notice.
- New Zealand – yet to decide when the travel ban can be lifted and will depend on the pandemic situation.
- Canada – The Government of Canada announced on April 1 that the air travel ban for foreign nationals would last until at least June 30, 2020 Travel Exemption Update: International Students with Study Permits Issued Before March 18, 2020, Can Now Officially Travel to Canada